Foreign Languages - French
At Wendell Park, we develop children’s experience of language acquisition and encourage curiosity about languages.
The focus is on the pupils' understanding of what they hear and read and ensuring they have an ability of express themselves. Pupils are supported to explore how language works and experience the differences between French and English.
Through exploration of language pupils strengthen their sense of identity and foster an understanding of others and the world about them - through learning about culture in Francophone countries and comparing it with their own.
In French, pupils will learn to:
- speak confidently
- read fluently
- write imaginatively
- understand the culture of the countries in which the language is spoken
In conjunction with the national curriculum for languages, we will also aim to ensure that pupils:
- Understand and respond to spoken and written French from a variety of authentic sources such as through stories, songs and rhymes.
- Speak with increasing confidence, fluency and spontaneity, finding ways of communicating what they want to say, including through discussion and asking questions, and continually improving the accuracy of their pronunciation and intonation.
- Can write (KS2) at varying length, for different purposes and audiences, using the variety of grammatical structures that they have learnt, including through using a dictionary.
- Discover and develop an appreciation of a range of French written work.
Please click here to see how learning develops in French at Wendell Park Primary School from Year 1 to Year 6.
Please click here for further information about the National Curriculum Languages programme of study.